Kahit GCQ na! Public Masses in Sto. Niño de Cebu starting Aug. 2
The Basilica Minore del Santo Niño de Cebu on Saturday announced that it would not hold Masses even though the province has been placed under general community quarantine (GCQ).
In an advisory posted on its Facebook account, the basilica instead urged the faithful to participate in online Masses that will be held twice a day, from Monday to Sunday.
The Masses are scheduled every 8 a.m. in English and at 2 p.m. in Cebuano.
“In compliance (with) Executive Order No. 086 series of 2020 issued by the Cebu City government where a maximum of 10 persons can attend Masses with the public, the Basilica will no longer hold Masses with the public. Instead, Masses will be online. Daily live-streamed Mass is at 8 a.m. and 2 p.m. (Monday to Sunday),” it said.
It added that the church premises and candle-lighting area would be open to pilgrims and devotees from Monday to Saturday only.
“The basilica is closed on Sundays,” it said.
The basilica was closed for several days last month after some of its priests and employees were suspected of contracting the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19).
Mass gatherings in places of worship in areas under GCQ are allowed at 10-percent capacity.
On Monday, President Rodrigo Duterte announced that Cebu City is among areas under GCQ until August 15.
Cebu has more than 8,000 Covid-19 cases with more than 6,000 recoveries and 342 deaths. | via (PNA)