The New Bilibid Prison (NBP) in Muntinlupa City has brought in more personnel of the Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) from the provinces to help in handling the number of surrenderers, said Justice Undersecretary Markk Perete on Monday (Sept. 23).
Perete said the BuCor made the move after there have been way more surrenderers from the expected 1,914 convicts who were released since 2013 because of good conduct time allowance (GCTA).
“It has also transferred personnel from less congested facilities to help,” he said.
“They have contingency plans in place to address food and sanitation concerns,” he also assured.
Perete said that the BuCor has already started trimming down the number of surrenderers.
“We understand BuCor will start releasing those who surrendered whose releases are not GCTA-related to begin with.” he revealed.
He previously noted that among those who surrendered were those who were granted parole and pardon.