Kanselado US visa! Bato confirms Politiko’s scoop
The United States government has cancelled Senator Ronald “Bato” Dela Rosa’s visa, he confirmed Wednesday (January 22).
In a text message to reporters, Dela Rosa said the US embassy in Manila informed him of the cancellation of his visa when he inquired about its status earlier this month.
“Yes (cancelled). They officially answered official query,” the former Philippine National Police (PNP) chief said.
It was Politiko which first reported about the cancellation of Dela Rosa’s visa on December 13.
The senator said that while the US embassy didn’t say when his tourist visa was cancelled, it informed him he could still apply for a new one.
“No date given. Basta mag-apply lang daw ako uli ko kasi the present visa was cancelled,” he said.
A source told Politiko that Dela Rosa’s US visa has been cancelled since May last year in accordance with the Asia Reassurance Initiative Act (ARIA).
The law provides $1.5 billion in security assistance to the US’ allies in the Indo-Pacfic region on the basis of promoting democracy, human rights and rule of law.
However, the ARIA also imposes sanctions on individuals or entities which violate human rights.
Politiko’s source said Dela Rosa’s visa was reportedly cancelled over his alleged involvement in the supposed extrajudicial killungs of drug suspects when he was PNP chief.