Killer instinct: Mon Tulfo reveals Duterte rejected 3 Cabinet offers from GMA. Here’s why
President Rodrigo Duterte had been offered three Cabinet posts when he was Davao City mayor by then-President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo but he refused, one of his closest friends has revealed.
Special Envoy to China Mon Tulfo said Duterte had told him over dinner some time ago that Arroyo offered him to become the Secretary of either Defense or Interior and Local Government, or Customs Commissioner.
Duterte, however, rejected the offers, preferring to rule in his bailiwick, Davao City, until his 2016 victory in the presidential race.
“Whenever I asked him why he refused the offers, Digong would tell me in Bisayan, ‘Many corrupt officials in those agencies might die,’” Tulfo said in his August 8 column for the Manila Times.
Tulfo shared the Cabinet positions offered to Duterte in light of the corruption scandal rocking the Philippine Health Insurance Corporation (Philhealth).
Duterte had appointed his fellow Davaoeño, retired military officer Ricardo Morales, as Philhealth president and CEO in hopes of weeding out corruption in the agency.
Morales, however, is now accused of “coddling” the mafia that supposedly thrives within Philhealth.