By JOHN CARLO M. CAHINHINAN
The anti-graft court on Monday junked the P200-billion forfeiture case filed against the surviving family member of former President and late dictator Ferdinand Marcos.
The Sandiganbayan’s fourth division in its decision said Ombudsman’s prosecutors’ “failure… to prove its allegations by preponderance of evidence” as the primary reason for its dismissal.
“The respective counterclaims of said defendants are dismissed for their failure to prove the same by preponderance of evidence,” the ruling read.
The resolution was signed by Fourth Division chair, Associate Justice Alex Quiroz, and concurred by Associate Justices Maria Theresa Mendoza-Arcega and Maryann Corpus-Mañalac.
The case stemmed from a civil suit filed by the late Solicitor General Frank Chavez in 1987, supposedly to retrieve the alleged illegally-acquired wealth of Marcos and his surviving kin allegedly obtained during their incumbency as public officers during their patriarch’s more than two-decade rule.
Last July, the Marcoses sought the inhibition of Associate Justice Zaldy Trespeses since he worked previously under ousted former Chief Justice Maria Lourder Sereno who penned the high tribunal’s ruling which brought back Irene Marcos-Araneta and her brother, former Senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr., as defendants in the multi-billion forfeiture case.