Military in charge of airport security? Duterte orders revamp of NAIA
By Prince Golez
In a Cabinet meeting Monday evening, a dismayed President Rodrigo Duterte called for a “revamp” of the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA).
This, after Duterte made a surprise inspection at the country’s main airport following reports of flight delays and cancellations.
“He expressed dismay and hinted at its revamp,” said Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo in a statement.
Panelo on Tuesday said Transportation Secretary Arthur Tugade raised some operational concerns and proposed to transfer general aviation or domestic flights to Sangley Airbase to solve the congestion problem in NAIA.
“Secretary Tugade reported that he had already initiated the testing of ferries that can operate from Mall of Asia to Sangley within 18-24 minutes,” he added.
Duterte has ordered the operations in Sangley Point to start “immediately.”
The President, meanwhile, expressed his preference for the airport security to be handled by either from the military or civilian force. “Sec. Tugade will be preparing an appropriate executive order for the President’s consideration,” said Panelo.