Nadaan sa sindak ni Duterte! Canada vows trash out of PH by end-June
Canada has vowed to ship back the trash left in the Philippines by June following President Rodrigo Duterte’s warning that the Philippine government will do so on its own.
Quoting Minister of Environment and Climate Change Catherine McKenna, the Canadian government said in a statement Wednesday that it has awarded a contract to Bollore Logistics Canada to return the waste to Ottawa as soon as possible.
“The company will begin preparation for shipping in the coming days. The removal will be complete by the end of June, as the waste must be safely treated to meet Canadian safety and health requirements,” the Canadian government said in a statement.
Ottawa will shoulder the cost of preparation, transfer, shipment and disposal of the waste, it added.
Earlier this week, Malacañang said Duterte has ordered concerned government agencies to find a Filipino firm that will ship Canada’s trash back.
Foreign Affairs Secretary Teodoro “Teddyboy” Locsin Jr. ordered the recall of the Philippine ambassador and consuls to Canada over its failure to meet Duterte’s May 15 deadline for shipping out its garbage.
The 69 container vans of garbage arrived in the Philippines between 2013 and 2014.
In the statement, Canada said it “values its deep and longstanding relationship with the Philippines.”
“The Government of Canada maintains ongoing discussions with the Government of the Philippines to ensure a positive ourcome to this issue in a timely fashion,” it said.