Safety should always be the paramount concern when it comes to any immunization program, Sen. Nancy Binay said on Friday.
She made the remark after dengue vaccine manufacturer, Sanofi, said that their study revealed that Dengvaxia could lead to more “serious disease” without making any elaboration.
“It is sad that the DoH ignored the warning of DoST (Department of Science and about the issue of patient safety and research integrity of Dengvaxia,” Binay said.
She expressed alarm over the public health impact of Dengvaxia considering that the DoH has confirmed that it has administered the dengue vaccine to about 400,000 school children in Central Luzon, National Capital Region, and Calabarzon (Cavite-Laguna-Batangas-Riizal-Quezon).
“For those not previously infected by dengue virus, however, the analysis found that in the longer term, more cases of severe disease could occur following vaccination upon a subsequent dengue infection,” Sanofi said in a statement.
“The latest medical report issued by Sanofi is deeply shocking and disturbing specially to any parent whose children have received the vaccine,” Binay.
The senator said Sanofi should clarify and explain what it meant by “severe disease.”