The bible of Philippine politics

Nagwala dahil sa P2M! Duterte’s camp at fault for ABS-CBN’s failure to air campaign ads- report

0 3,028

President Rodrigo Duterte has repeatedly slammed ABS-CBN for allegedly failing to air his campaign ads in the run-up to the 2016 elections, saying it was proof of the network’s bias.

Philippine Star columnist Boo Chanco, however, said Duterte only had his campaign team to blame for what happened.

In his February 21 column, Chanco said ABS-CBN failed to air P2-million worth of then-Davao City Mayor Duterte’s campaign ads in Mindanao because his camp “reserved late, didn’t have Comelec approval and it was the last few days for airing political ads.”

“By the time they got Comelec clearance, all available commercial slots had been taken. The network tried to return the P2 million but was told to hold it for the meantime. In a weird twist of events, the network was accused of estafa,” Chanco added.

House Speaker Alan Peter Cayetano has accused ABS-CBN of bias in its coverage of the 2010 and 2016 elections as the network’s franchise renewal remains in limbo.

“Noong 2010 at 2016 election, yung pakikialam sa eleksyon malaking isyu yun, meron tayong Fair Election Act, may batas tayo na ang media hindi pwedeng hindi patas kapag eleksyon,” Cayetano said in a February 14 interview.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

Privacy & Cookies Policy