Nganga sa resulta! 24,000 OFWs stranded in Metro Manila due as Vince Dizon falls flat on COVID-19 testing promises
Over 24,000 overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) are stuck in quarantine facilities in Metro Manila since they have yet to receive the results of their COVID-19 test, Malacañang said Monday (May 25).
Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said President Rodrigo Duterte has given the Department of Labor and Employment, Overseas Workers Welfare Administration and the Department of Health one week to bring the stranded OFWs back to their home provinces.
Quoting the President, Roque said the concerned government agencies should use all resources to ensure the OFWs can finally leave Metro Manila.
The plight of stranded OFWs appears to have worsened since Bases and Conversion Development Authority (BCDA) chairman Vince Dizon was designated as COVID-19 testing czar earlier this month.
Dizon had vowed to increase by 5,000 the number of COVID-19 tests conducted in the country when the swabbing center at Palacio De Maynila opened on May 5. He also said the Philippine Red Cross can process the specimen taken at the facility within 48 to 72 hours.
“If we can achieve that, theoretically matatapos nating i-test [ang 20,000 OFWs] in five days,” he said.
With 24,000 OFWs stuck in quarantine centers in Metro Manila, it’s clear Dizon overpromised and underdelivered– as he usually does.