The bible of Philippine politics

‘Nonchalant sila’: Duterte hits Cebu City’s stalled coronavirus response

0 78

By Prince Golez

Cebu City’s nonchalant response to the health crisis led to its increasing number of coronavirus diagnoses, President Rodrigo Duterte reiterated Wednesday.

Despite the quarantine being strictly implemented, Duterte said that Cebuanos continued to violate the home quarantine rules.

“We had all the warnings in place and the police were very strict but following the national direction. But it could only arrest so many so much. Ang nahalata ko kasi sir sa Cebu, nonchalant sila during the critical days sa pagputok nito,” according to the President.

“People were partying, gambling outside of their houses in Talisay, that’s in Cebu. Basta para sa kanila balewala… It’s as if nothing happened. It seemed like nobody heeded the warnings and from all indications, from the footage taken from the camera of the government, it was really as if there had been no warnings, nothing at all. And so this is the situation now,” he also said.

During a meeting with Duterte in Davao City, Health Secretary Francisco Duque III said the city remained under enhanced community quarantine due to “overwhelmed” healthcare capacity.

“Ang kanila pong case doubling time ay masyadong maiksi, less than seven days that puts them at high risk, and their critical care utilization rate mataas po ang kanilang paggamit,” he added.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

Privacy & Cookies Policy