Nothing lost in translation: Mon Tulfo believes Duterte ordered Loot’s ambush
Despite Malacañang’s denial, Special Envoy for Public Diplomacy to China Ramon Tulfo believes President Rodrigo Duterte told the truth when he said he ordered the ambush of former Daanbantayan, Cebu Mayor Vicente Loot last year.
In his September 21 column for the Manila Times, Tulfo said Duterte always speaks his mind no matter what other people think.
“[K]nowing Digong, he really meant what he said. He’s not dumb,” he said.
Tulfo recalled that when Duterte was mayor of Davao City, he admitted to kicking out of a flying helicopter an ex-convict who planted marijuana at the foot of Mount Apo.
Duterte said on Tuesday (September 17) that he ordered the attack on Loot in May 2018.
The former mayor, whom Duterte tagged as a protector of drug lords, survived the attack.
“General Loot, p*t*ng*n* mo, nanalo pa na mayor. Inambush kita, animal ka, buhay pa rin,” Duterte said in a speech during the oath-taking of newly appointed government officials at Malacañang.
Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo claimed Duterte merely misspoke as he sometimes have trouble speaking Filipino.
For Tulfo, Duterte’s outburst showed his real character.
“Let’s take the President for what he is: super honest, but vulgar in his speech,” he said.