The bible of Philippine politics

Palace bans gov’t agencies from taking official trips to Canada: Bawiin muna ang basura

0 52

Officials of all government agencies are banned from taking official trips to Canada until their trash is returned, Malacañang confirmed Sunday.

Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea issued a memo dated May 20 directing department secretaries and heads of agencies and government- owned and -controlled corporations to refrain from issuing travel authorities for official trips to Canada.

“The aforesaid memo likewise directed heads of government agencies to reduce official interaction with representatives of the Canadian government,” he said in a statement.

Panelo said the directives “are consistent with our stance on diminished diplomatic relations with Canada” over its failure to retrieve its trash shipment.

Earlier this month, Foreign Affairs Secretary Teodoro “Teddyboy” Locsin Jr. ordered the recall of the Philippine Ambassador to Canada and the Consul General over the lingering issue on Canada’s garbage.

Canada failed to meet the May 15 deadline set by Duterte to ship out the 69 container vans of garbage that arrived in the country between 2013 and 2014.

Recently, however, the Canadian government said it is already undertaking steps to retrieve its trash. It said it expects the process to be completed by the end of June.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

Privacy & Cookies Policy