Malacañang on Saturday, February 28, distanced itself on the proposal to put ailing Senator Juan Ponce Enrile under house arrest.
Deputy Presidential Spokesperson Abigail Valte said, over government-run Radyo ng Bayan, Malacañang would let the Sandiganbayan decide on the appeal for Enrile’s welfare.
“It would be eventually the court that would decide should the side of Senator Enrile move to have him placed under house arrest,” Valte said.
Valte said President Benigno Aquino III has yet to discuss his opinion on the matter to his communications group.
Enrile was rushed to Makati Medical Center on Thursday due to pneumonia.
Since then, there have been mounting calls from lawmakers to place him under house arrest seeking for “mercy and compassion” for the 91-year-old senator.
Lawmakers from the minority bloc in the Senate and the House of Representatives aired their plan to file separate resolutions to seek for Enrile’s house arrest.
Vice President Jejomar Binay also earlier threw support for lawmakers’ call saying that it would be more comfortable for Enrile to be detained in his own house than in a hospital inside the Philippine National Police (PNP).
Enrile along with fellow senators Jinggoy Estrada and Ramon Revilla Jr. have been detained at the PNP Custodial Center in Camp Crame since last year in connection with graft and plunder charges stemming from the P10-billion pork barrel scam.