Palace questions Del Rosario’s Hong Kong trip: Pinaghintay na nga si Morales tumuloy ka pa!
By Prince Golez
Malacanang questioned on Friday the intention of former Foreign Affairs Secretary Albert del Rosario’s trip to Hong Kong, saying that he was aware that former Ombudswoman Conchita Carpio Morales was barred from entering the Chinese territory last month.
“I cannot also understand the good Ambassador, why he knew from the very start that the Hong Kong authorities have ‘detained’ former Ombudsman Morales. Of course, we can only speculate that it could have been in relation to the case filed against China,” said Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo in an interview.
In March 2019, Del Rosario and Morales, along with a group of Filipino fishermen, filed a complaint before the International Criminal Court against Chinese President Xi Jinping for crimes against humanity relative to China’s increased activities in the disputed West Philippine Sea.
“If I were Del Rosario, I would have not gone to Hong Kong because I would be—I’m sure, I would have anticipated, that I would be going to the same ordeal like the former Ombudsman did. Now why did he go there? That’s my question to him,” Panelo added.
The chief presidential legal counsel said the Philippine government cannot question the denial of entry of Del Rosario in Hong Kong.
“That’s their exclusive domain. Whether or not a person is a security risk to them is for them to determine not us or not the country where that person or guest do belong,” according to him.
Panelo also said Del Rosario should have informed the Hong Kong authorities about his visit.
“I will not limit myself with the Department of Foreign Affairs, I will write directly the Hong Kong authorities considering that there was a situation before, hindi ba. Dapat ganoon ang mga galaw ng isang responsableng dating opisyal ng gobyerno,” he also said.