Malacañang on Friday (December 1) said there is nothing new with President Rodrigo Duterte’s order for security forces to shoot armed members of the New People’s Army because they are at war with the government.
Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said international humanitarian laws allow for the shooting of an enemy during war.
“Eh ano ba naman ho ang bago diyan? Eh ‘di ba ho krimen naman ang rebelyon,” he said in an interview over dzMM radio.
“So wala pong bago diyan, alangan namang sambahin natin iyong isang armadong NPA ‘no at sabihing mahal ka namin eh samantalang siya ay in the process na nag-aalsa at gumagamit ng dahas para matalsik ang ating gobyerno,” he added.
Earlier this week, Duterte told cops and soldiers to shoot armed NPA rebels rather than be put at risk of being kidnapped or killed.
Duterte has called off peace talks with the communists because of the NPA’s incessant attacks on government forces and civilians.
He said he will issue a proclamation soon tagging the NPA as a terrorist organization.
Roque said the President was clear that not all people will be shot by security forces.
“Siyempre iyong mga kasapi lamang sa nagaganap na rebelyon sa ating bayan eh sang-ayon po sa batas, international humanitarian law eh talaga namang sila ay valid military target,” he said.