Palace slams ‘toxic’ San Francisco supervisors’ resolution: Hindi niyo na kami colony!
By Prince Golez
Malacañang has sharply criticized the San Francisco Board of Supervisors for its resolution condemning the government’s war on drugs and the cases against Senator Leila de Lima and journalist Maria Ressa, as well as urging the withdrawal of financial aid to the Philippines.
“It is astonishingly incredible and amazingly perplexing why men and women of arts and letters such as the San Francisco’s Board of Supervisors could believe the false narratives as well as the bogus statistics cited in the Duterte Administration’s drug war, fed to them by biased news agencies, anti-Duterte trolls and a biased alleged labour and environmental activist from San Francisco and Richmond,” said Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo.
In a statement late Saturday, Panelo called the resolution as a “toxic and unacceptable intrusion to our legal processes” and an “outrageous interference with our country’s sovereignty.”
The Supervisors, like the American senators who recently called for the release of de Lima, have either developed an amnesia or have not outgrown their colonial mentality, he added.
“They should be shaken from their stupor and wake up to the fact that the Philippines had long ceased to be a colony of the United States and will never be a vassal to it,” according to him.
Panelo reiterated that the cases against Senators de Lima and Antonio Trillanes IV, and Ressa are already on trial before the courts, which belong to a separate and independent branch of the government.
“They have been afforded their rights to due process. Their criminal prosecution is anchored on their transgressions of our laws and it has absolutely nothing to do with their being critical of the Administration. Other harsher critics do not face any criminal complaint simply because they have not violated any law but just exercising their freedom of speech,” the chief presidential legal counsel said.
He maintained that the casualties of President Rodrigo Duterte’s drug war were not state-sponsored, citing the deaths of policemen during anti-drug operations.
“The dismissal and prosecution of a Manila police officer for killing an epileptic in a false drug raid, together with last year’s conviction of three Caloocan police officers for the killing of a teenager, underscores the policy that this Administration does not tolerate police abuse,” said Panelo.
The spokesman also claimed that “vociferous” critics of Duterte have turned to foreign politicians or international human rights groups because an overwhelming number of Filipino still support the President.