Palace tells pols to seek judicial remedy for inclusion in new narco-list
By Prince Golez
Malacanang on Friday said narco-politicians can go to court and question their inclusion in President Rodrigo Duterte’s latest drug list.
Duterte on Thursday named 46 government officials with alleged links to the illegal drug trade in the country.
“As I have previously stated there is always a remedy to judicial resort for those in the list who feel they have been injured by the announcement that their names are included in the list,” presidential spokesperson Salvador Panelo said.
Panelo was reacting to the statement of Leyte Rep. Vicente Veloso (3rd district) that he would file criminal charges against those responsible for his inclusion on the list.
Veloso also sought a congressional investigation into the release of the narco-list.
Interior Secretary Eduardo Año previously said the list had been evaluated and validated by the Inter-agency Committee on Anti-Illegal Drugs headed by the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency and comprising of the Philippine National Police, the Armed Forces of the Philippines, and the National Intelligence Coordinating Agency.
“Cong. Veloso said he welcomes the filing of the administrative charge against him so he can refute his inclusion in the list,” the Palace official said.
“The individual right of an individual is subordinate to the right of the state to secure and protect itself from the wrongdoers of society when public safety is endangered apart from the people have the constitutional right to be informed on matters that concern their welfare and health,” he added, stressing that the country’s drug problem is a national security problem and destroys families.