By Prince Golez
Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea will receive the official instruction of President Rodrigo Duterte to ask the Department of Foreign Affairs to submit the notice of termination of the Visiting Forces Agreement (VFA) tomorrow, Malacañang said Sunday.
Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo issued the statement after Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana called Panelo’s announcement that Duterte has ordered the sending of notice of termination “fake news.”
Medialdea also denied receiving an order from the President.
“Unang-una, wala pang opisina. Sabado, Linggo. Ang Presidente nasa Davao, papano niya mapapadala ang kanyang instruction? Kailangan siyempre merong executive document or rather in writing yung instruction mo sa isang opisyal mo,” Panelo said in a radio interview.
“Hindi naman pwedeng verbal verbal lang. Antayin natin dumating ang mandate bukas pagdating ni Presidente,” he added.
Duterte ordered the termination of the VFA last month after Senator Ronald “Bato” Dela Rosa confirmed his US visa had been canceled by the US government.