Para iwas kulong: Imelda Marcos to appeal guilty verdict
By JOHN CARLO M. CAHINHINAN
The camp of former First Lady and now Ilocos Norte Rep. Imelda Romualdez Marcos will file a motion for reconsideration (MR) before the anti-graft court following the guilty verdict rendered against her due to multiple graft charges.
In a statement, Marcos said they have already received a copy of the decision of the Sandiganbayan fifth division and she was advised to immediately appeal the court’s verdict against her.
Marcos said retired Court of Appeals (CA) Associate Justice Manuel “Lolong” Lazaro will act as her interim legal counsel since Attorney of Record, Robert Sison, “has been indisposed and is presently confined at the Asian Hospital.” Lazaro previously appeared as of the counsel of the Ilocos Norte solon in this case.
“Justice Lolong Lazaro will act as my counsel in the interim. He is presently studying the decision and has advised us that he intends to file a Motion for Reconsideration,” she said.
Neither Marcos nor Sison was present when the verdict was finally read in the court room during Friday’s promulgation. Marcos has been given 30 days by the anti-graft division to explain her absence on court day.
The 89-year old former First Lady has been sentenced to prison between six years and one month to 11 years for each of the seven counts of graft for using her previous cabinet position to maintain multiple Swiss bank accounts.
Marcos, widow of former dictator and President Ferdinand Marcos served as Minister of Human Settlement during the latter part of her late husband’s regime.
Aside from imprisonment, the court ordered Marcos’ perpetual disqualification from holding any position in the government.
The three-term Ilocos Norte lawmaker is set to run as governor in her late husband’s native province in next year’s midterm elections.