Para magamot agad: Guevarra mulls mass COVID-19 testing at Mandaluyong women’s jail
Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra is looking into holding mass tests at the Correctional Institute for Women (CIW) in Mandaluyong City where 20 persons have been found with the 2019 coronavirus (COVID-19).
“We are now talking to certain parties, including the Red Cross, for the conduct of mass testing at the CIW,” he said on Tuesday (April 21).
The Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) disclosed on Tuesday that 18 persons deprived of liberty (PDL) and one personnel of the CIW were tested positive with COVID-19.
The tests were made after a 72-year-old CIW PDL was tested last week and was found positive with COVID-19.
Guevarra assured that BuCor Director General Gerald Bantag and Justice Undersecretary Deo Marco, who has supervision of the BuCor, are on top of the matter.
“I have emphasized to Usec. Marco and DG Bantag the need to give priority attention to the BuCor facilities in view of the threat of rapid COVID-19 transmission within,” Guevarra said.