Vice President Leni Robredo has confirmed there are “active efforts” to remove her from office because she leads the opposition.
In an interview with Bloomberg TV Tuesday (August 13), Robredo said she has been dealing with threats to oust her since winning the 2016 vice presidential race.
“There is active effort to replace me. My opponent in the last elections has been claiming he’s the rightful vice president. There’s a pending case—as I’ve said—there’s a pending protest case before the Presidential Electoral Tribunal (PET),” she said.
Robredo’s opponent, former senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr., has asked PET for a recount of votes to prove there was cheating in the 2016 elections and he was the rightful winner.
The Vice President said there are also people close to President Rodrigo Duterte who have been vocal about wanting her ousted. She, however, distanced the Chief Executive from the moves to remove her from office.
“If the question is are there groups who are actively seeking for my ouster? There are. But I think, there’s no… there’s no proof that the President is behind these efforts,” she said.
Duterte said last year that he would rather have Marcos or Sorsogon Governor Francis Escudero replace him instead of Robredo.