POGO pa lang kinabahan na! Kiko asks: Why allow Chinese telco inside military camps?
Senator Kiko Pangilinan is wondering why the Duterte administration has agreed to allow the Chinese-backed Dito Telecoms to put up their towers inside military camps.
Pangilinan said this was “absurd” considering that Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana himself had raised alarm bells on the proximity of Chinese-backed Philippine Offshore aming Operations (POGOs) near military camps which would make it easier for illegal Chinese workers to conduct surveillance operations.
“The Philippine government has not only allowed the Chinese telco on our soil, it has laid the red carpet for Dito Telecoms (formerly Mislatel) inside our military camps,” said Pangilinan in a statement.
“Sa isyu nga ng POGOs na malapit lang sa military camps, na-alarma na ang mga opisyal ng DND sa potential security concern, paano pa itong nasa loob na mismo ng mga kampo? Our security and foreign policies have become so absurd” he added. DITO is a 60-40 venture between bilyonaryo Dennis Uy and China Telecom.
Pangilinan said the installation of electronic communications inside our military camps has raised fears of electronic espionage and interference “given the record of some Chinese firms for engaging in this illegal activity.”
“This fear is especially acute given that China’s National Intelligence Law from 2017 requires Chinese companies to ‘support,assist, and cooperate with the state intelligence work’,” he said.
Pangilinan has six questions for the Armed Forces of the Philippines:
1) Why build these telco towers inside camps in the first place?
2) Are there no other available sites for their towers?
3) How much are they paying the government for these?
4) How can we be assured that there will be no breach of national security and respect for privacy of communications and correspondence?
5) Do we have guarantees that they will not obtain crucial information to the detriment of Filipinos?
6) What happened to the cyber security audit of the DICT and the NTC on this third player?
Pangilinan has asked for a copy between Dito and the AFP.