State prosecutors have opposed calls for Senator Juan Ponce Enrile to be placed under house arrest despite his advanced age and frail health.
Atty. Joefferson Toribio, acting Director of the Ombudsman’s Office of the Special Prosecutors (OSP), said asking or agreeing to a petition for house arrest isn’t on the minds of the prosecution team since it has already been considerate by allowing the 91-year-old senator to stay at the Philippine National Police (PNP) General Hospital.
“Dahil meron ngang karamdaman si Senator Enrile because of his advance age pumayag po yung prosecution din naman na mapunta siya doon sa PNP General Hospital,” Toribio told reporters on Friday.
Despite opposing house arrest for Enrile, Toribio declined to comment when asked if the prosecution would allow the senator to be transferred to a better-equipped private hospital.
Calls for Enrile to be placed under house arrest gained momentum after he was rushed to the Makati Medical Center (MMC) earlier this week for pneumonia. His lawyers said he contracted the infection from a patient at the PNP General Hospital.
He has been in detention since last year in connection with plunder and graft charges filed against him over the pork barrel scam. His co-accused, Senators Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. and Jinggoy Estrada, are detained at the PNP Custodial Center at Camp Crame.