Romero backs call for P30B supplemental budget for Taal victims
Deputy Speaker and 1-Pacman party-list Rep. Mikee Romero on Tuesday said he supports President Rodrigo Duterte’s request for the appropriation of an additional P30 billion for communities affected by the eruption of Taal volcano.
“The P16-billion national disaster risk reduction and management fund, formerly calamity fund, in the national budget for this year is hardly enough even for this one calamity that has visited our people in Cavite and Batangas,” he said.
“Of the P16 billion, P3.5 billion is reserved for the rehabilitation of Marawi City, while P5 billion is allocated for communities devastated by last year’s earthquakes in the Davao-Socsargen regions. Thus, the President can only use P7.5 billion of this year’s calamity fund for disasters,” Romero noted.
“Aside from approving whatever amount the President requests for Cavite and Batangas, Congress has to augment the calamity fund,” Romero said.
“We have to give the Chief Executive enough money to respond to calamities,” he added.
Earlier, House Majority Leader Martin Romualdez pledged an additional P20 billion for the planned supplemental budget for victims of Taal Volcano’s eruption, after Duterte called on Congress to allocate an additional P30 billion for the calamity.
“If need be, the House leadership is even willing to increase the amount of the supplemental budget to as much as P50 billion for the sake of our ‘kababayans’ there,” Romualdez said.