Sabit lahat! Panelo: Amnesty given by PNoy to all ex-rebels void
The amnesty granted by former President Benigno Aquino III to former rebel soldiers is void because it was supposedly approved by ex-Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin, President Rodrigo Duterte’s abogado said.
In a television interview Monday (September 10), Chief Presidential Legal Counsel Salvador Panelo claimed it was Gazmin who approved the application for amnesty of Trillanes and other former rebel soldiers.
Trillanes and his former comrades in the military submitted their application after Aquino signed Presidential Proclamation No. 75 granting them amnesty.
“In the Constitution, the power to grant amnesty as well as pardon is exclusive to the President. You cannot delegate the power to any, so that means the grant of amnesty is void from the very beginning, he said.
Asked whether he believes the amnesty granted by Aquino to former rebel soldiers is void, Panelo replied in the affirmative.
“Theoretically yes! Unless they can show me that the President then signed a grant of amnesty to all those enumerated in the letters submitted to him by Secretary Voltaire Gazmin,” he said.
Duterte last month issued Presidential Proclamation No. 572 voiding the amnesty given to Trillanes.