Secretary ng sumbungan! Duterte to appoint Cabinet official in charge of 8888 hotline
President Rodrigo Duterte will name a Cabinet Secretary to oversee the operations of 8888 citizens’ complaint hotline, Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea said.
In an interview over dzMM radio Friday (March 1), Medialdea said a separate office will also be created to monitor the hotline’s operations.
“It (8888 hotline) would be taken by a new Secretary na maa-appoint po in the next few days. Talagang tutukan na ‘yan because that was under an office ho ng director… We decided to create another office to man that. At the same time namo-monitor lahat yung mga complains na natatanggap at masasagot to the best of his ability,” he said.
Medialdea made the announcement after Duterte complained about the difficulty in accessing the hotline in a speech earlier this week. He blamed PLDT, the service provider, for the problem and threatened to shut the company down if they refuse to add more hotlines.
“The present setup can’t accommodate all the calls. It’s always busy. Tell PLDT. If not, I’ll shut down their business.” he said during PDP-Laban’s sortie in Cebu on Feb. 24.
In response to Duterte’s complaint, PLDT chairman Manuel V. Pangilinan said they will add more trunklines apart from the 20 mandated in the contract with the government.
The citizens’ complaint hotline was established in 2016 through Executive Order No. 6 to receive complaints against erring public officials, poor government services and fixers.
Medialdea admitted that the office currently handling the hotline is overwhelmed by the number of complaints coursed through 8888.
“So far ho nagkaka-problema nga because of the heavy volume of calls. So we will address it ngayon kasi nakakatanggap 80 simultaneous calls at ang problema hindi talaga kaya,” he said.
In addition to adding more trunklines, Medialdea said they are looking into adding text messaging as an option for citizens to send their complaints.