Seryoso nga! DOJ: Duterte’s order to probe Clarin mayor’s ambush shows gov’t want slay solved
President Rodrigo Duterte’s directive for the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) to probe the killing of Clarin, Misamis Occidental Mayor David Navarro should put at ease doubts over the conduct of a police investigation, Justice Undersecretary Markk Perete said.
“Given the circumstances surrounding the killing of Clarin Mayor Navarro, the President’s directive for the NBI to take over the investigation of the incident should quell any doubts regarding this government’s commitment to solve the case and bring to account those responsible,” the spokesman said.
Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra earlier said the police should be made to investigate the killing before the NBI be directed to step in.
However, Duterte gave the directive for the conduct of an NBI investigation due to suspicion that police may have been involved.
“To make it really fair, I’d like to order the police to terminate their investigations and hand it to the NBI whatever documents and/or proof or evidence that they have in their hands,” Duterte stated.
Navarro got arrested last week for having mauled a male massage therapist.
He was being brought by police to the Cebu City Prosecutor’s Office last October 25 when the convoy taking him got ambushed by unidentified assailants who killed him.