Sotto on DFA passport data fiasco: ‘Hindi nakakabahala pero nakakainis’
Senate President Vicente Sotto III on Saturday said he was not alarmed but rather annoyed by the admission of the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) that the previous contractor for visa issuance “made off” with data of Filipino passport holders.
“Palagay ko di naman dapat ikabahala pero dapat ikainis,” he said in an interview on DWIZ radio.
Sotto said he believes the DFA under Secretary Teddy Boy Locsin would be able to protect the data of Filipinos despite the supposed data privacy breach.
“Palagay ko kaya naman ng DFA na magkaroon ng enough protection. Di naman naaalarma si Secretary Locsin, parang naiinis lang siya, tingin ko makukuha natin yun di maaaring hindi,” he said.
Otherwise, “magkakaproblema sila,” Sotto said. “Baka gusto nilang sumunod sa mga Bumbay,” he joked. “Biro lang ha biro lang baka magalit sa akin ang mga taga India.”
Sotto said it was possible that the contractor did not steal the data at all.
“Baka naman di ninakaw, ayaw nila ibigay,” he said.
The controversy started when the DFA announced that people with older passports who were renewing their passports would need to bring their birth certificates as those on file had been lost to a previous contractor.
“Because previous contractor got pissed when terminated it made off with data. We did nothing about it or couldn’t because we were in the wrong,” Locsin tweeted.
“It won’t happen again. Passports pose national security issues and cannot be kept back by private entities. Data belongs to the state,” the official said.