Sri Lanka arrests ‘Mrs World’ over assault
Colombo police on Thursday arrested the current "Mrs World" on charges of assault over an on-stage fracas in which she pulled the crown off the head of the new "Mrs Sri Lanka".

Sri Lanka arrests ‘Mrs World’ over assault

Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin

Colombo police on Thursday arrested the current “Mrs World” on charges of assault over an on-stage fracas in which she pulled the crown off the head of the new “Mrs Sri Lanka”.

Caroline Jurie yanked the crown off Pushpika de Silva minutes after she was declared “Mrs Sri Lanka 2020” in a Sunday gala at Colombo’s Nelum Pokuna theatre.

Jurie was the previous year’s “Mrs Sri Lanka” and had gone on to win the “Mrs World” competition organised by a California-based company.

De Silva needed hospital treatment after the incident, seen by stunned spectators in a packed venue as well as a live social media audience.

“We have arrested Jurie and (her associate) Chula Manamendra in connection with a charge of assault and causing damage to Nelum Pokuna (theatre),” senior police official Ajith Rohana said.

De Silva told reporters outside a police station in Colombo Thursday that she was ready to drop the charges if Jurie made a public apology, but she had refused.

“I tried to end this out of court, but she has refused,” de Silva said. “I can forgive, but not forget.”

Police said a court hearing was fixed for April 19 and Jurie and her associate who crashed the stage on Sunday were released on bail Thursday.

Neither of them nor their lawyers spoke to reporters outside the police station.

Towards the end of Sunday’s ceremony, Jurie had claimed that de Silva was divorced and therefore ineligible for the prize. Her surprise announcement sparked unruly scenes minutes after the chief guest, Prime Minister Mahinda Rajapaksa’s wife Shiranthi, had left the theatre.

To qualify for the title, contestants must be married. De Silva is estranged from her husband, but they are still legally married.

The local franchise holder for the pageant, Chandimal Jayasinghe, said they were “deeply disturbed and sincerely regret” the behaviour of Jurie.

Jayasinghe said they were claiming compensation from Jurie for damages to the stage and backstage dressing rooms where several mirrors had been smashed.

The rumpus also meant the event dragged on two hours longer and theatre management demanded an additional fee of half a million rupees ($2,500), Jayasinghe added.

Jurie has also been accused by organisers of bringing disrepute to the event.

Social media calls have been mounting to strip Jurie of her “Mrs World” title, with one meme calling for her to be rebranded as “Mrs Under World”. © Agence France-Presse

Leave a Comment

POLITIKO / Live!

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on reddit
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

POLITIKO / Across the Nation

POLITIKO / Latest News

MCD MULTI MEDIA/ Network

  • Ancajas kampeon pa rin

    Maga na ang kaliwang mata pero nagawang itawid ni Jerwin Ancajas ang unanimous decision victory laban kay Mexican Jonathan Rodriguez sa Mohegan Sun, Uncasville, Connecticut nitong Linggo (araw sa Manila). The post Ancajas kampeon pa rin first appeared on NewsKo.

Weekly Sports News

  • Irving ejected as depleted Lakers surprise Nets, Jazz hit 40 wins

    Andre Drummond finished with a double double of 20 points and 11 rebounds as the Los Angeles Lakers defeated the Brooklyn Nets 126-101 on Saturday in a battle between two teams lacking much of their star power. The post Irving ejected as depleted Lakers surprise Nets, Jazz hit 40 wins appeared first on FASTBREAK.com.ph.

  • Jerwin Ancajas Retains IBF Belt, Beats Rodriguez Via Decision

    Filipino boxer Jerwin Ancajas retained his IBF world super flyweight belt with a unanimous decision win over Mexican Johnathan Rodriguez on Saturday (Sunday in the Philippines) at the Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville. The post Jerwin Ancajas Retains IBF Belt, Beats Rodriguez Via Decision appeared first on FASTBREAK.com.ph.

  • Mark Magsayo KO’s Foe, Stays Unbeaten

    Filipino fighter Mark Magsayo maintained his unblemished slate following a fourth round stoppage victory over American boxer Pablo Cruz on Saturday (Sunday in the Philippines) at the Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville. The post Mark Magsayo KO’s Foe, Stays Unbeaten appeared first on FASTBREAK.com.ph.

Sign up for our Newsletter

We are a social news blog where politikos, their kin, friends and allies are the center of the universe. We write about their words and deeds, likes and dislikes, dreams and fears. We are here to entertain, provoke and hopefully inform you along the way.

Disclaimer