By Prince Golez
Cabinet Secretary Karlo Nograles has backed a decision to defer the reopening of cinemas in the National Capital Region amid risks from resurgence in coronavirus (Covid-19) cases.
On Sunday, Nograles said the Inter-Agency Task Force (IATF) on Emerging Infectious Diseases respects the opinion of Metro Manila mayors not to allow movie theaters in the region to reopen.
“Kahit na may ganyang klaseng policies, we also respect the LGUs (local government units) in terms of mga actions nila. That’s why kung nakita niyo, nag-defer muna ang mga LGU ng Metro Manila doon sa pag-open ng cinema. ‘Yan naman po ay sinusuportahan natin,” the Palace official said in an interview on Dobol B sa News TV.
“But, remember these are general policies ng IATF at hindi lang naman ito sakop yung Metro Manila, it just so happens that Metro Manila is under GCQ (general community quarantine). But there are also other areas in GCQ,” he added.
Last month, the government’s Covid-19 task force allowed traditional cinemas to reoperate in areas under GCQ, subject to guidelines that will be issued by the Department of Health and respective local government units.
Malacañang, however, suspended the February 15 reopening of cinemas due to apprehension of local chief executives from Metro Manila and moved the target reopening date to March.