The Department of Labor and Employment reported that at least nine of the country’s biggest companies have heeded President Rodrigo Duterte’s to take care of their employees during the duration of the Luzon-wide lockdown.
In a report to the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Disease, DOLE said these compliant big corporations are:
1) Aboitiz Group of Companies of the Aboitiz family
2) International Container Terminal and Services Inc. and Solaire Hotel and Casino of Ricky Razon
3) Ayala Group of Companies
4) JG Summit, Cebu Pacific, Robinsons Land of the Gokongwei family
5) Jollibee Group of Tony Tan Caktiong
6) Lucio Tan Group of Companies
7) Manuel V. Pangilinan-Salim Group
8) San Miguel Corp. led by Ramon S. Ang
9) SM Group of the Sy family
Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III said: “In response to his (Duterte’s) appeal to big businesses, the following group of companies will continue to provide their employees full payment of their salary for the duration of the enhanced community quarantine without using up their available leaves, advance payment of 13th and 14th month pay, and other financial relief.”
“The Department trusts that other big business in the country will follow suit,” Bello added.
Duterte declared Metro Manila and the rest of Luzon under lockdown from March 17 to April 13, 2020.
The enhance quarantine shut down all malls and restaurants (except take out, delivery), forced workers to work from home, imposed checkpoints to restrict movement, and suspended all public transportation.
As of 18 March 2020, he Department of Health (DOH) reported that there are 202 confirmed cases and 17 deaths so far from COVID-19 in the country.