Tama na ‘tong kalokohan! Robredo hopes dismissal of sedition case will be end of lies, political harassment
Vice President Leni Robredo on Monday (February 10) welcomed the dismissal of the sedition case filed against her and several opposition figures over their alleged involvement in the “Ang Totoong Narcolist” videos.
Robredo hopes that with the Department of Justice (DOJ) clearing her from allegations of being involved in a supposed ouster plot against President Duterte, this would also be the end of many attempts to spread lies against her.
“Patunay lang ito sa sinasabi ko noon pang simula: na lantarang kasinungalingan ang batayan sa kasong ito, at ito ay pamumulitika lamang. Ngayong malinaw na sinabi ng DOJ na walang ebidensya laban sa akin, umaasa ako na ito na ang katapusan ng panggugulong ito,” Robredo said over Twitter.
Earlier on Monday, the Department of Justice (DOJ) announced that it had cleared Vice President Leni Robredo, senators Risa Hontiveros and Leila de Lima, and some of the opposition bets in the 2019 senatorial race of conspiring to commit sedition over an alleged plot to oust President Duterte.
DOJ prosecutors, however, found probable cause to indict former Senator Antonio Trillanes IV, Peter Joemel Advincula alias “Bikoy,” and several others for violation of Article 141 of the Revised Penal Code.
Robredo’s spokesperson Atty. Barry Gutierrez, meanwhile, echoed her statement, saying that the dismissal only proved that the sedition case filed against her and other members of the opposition was “anything more than lies and political harassment.”
“The resolution of the Department of Justice Special Panel of Prosecutors finding a “lack of evidence” against Vice President Leni Robredo and recommending the dismissal of the criminal complaint against her and 25 other respondents is a definitive condemnation of the fabricated accusations and trumped-up charges brought against her and stands as vindication of what she has maintained from the start: that these “charges” were never anything more than lies and political harassment,” Gutierrez said.
Gutierrez also said that while the Vice President has been unbothered by the attempts to distract her from doing her mandate, she will still continue with her work in helping communities in the fringes of society.
“We hope that this decisive conclusion by the panel, which it discusses thoroughly in its 51-page resolution, puts an end to this campaign of lies against the Vice President,” he said.
“And while she has not once allowed this baseless persecution to distract her from fulfilling her mandate of serving the Filipino people, she can now continue her work without this added and unnecessary burden,” the spokesperson added.