Tama si Duterte! Suicide bombers behind Jolo blasts- Lorenzana
Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana has pointed to suicide bombers as the culprits behind the twin explosions at the Jolo Cathedral earlier this week, just days after President Rodrigo Duterte shared a similar hunch in public.
Lorenzana on Friday (February 1) said forensic investigators from the Philippine National Police found body parts strewn all over inside and outside the Our Lady of Mount Carmel Cathedral. He said these could belong to two persons.
“I believe, with evidence at hand that the Mt Carmel Cathedral bombing was a suicide bombing,” Lorenzana said.
The Defense Secretary noted that the cathedral had been “heavily guarded” daily since August last year after it became the subject of death threats.
“Those entering were screened. All bags and belongings were checked. The bombs could have been strapped in the body of the bomber and escaped the attention of the soldiers doing the screening,” he said.
At least 22 people died while over 100 were hurt when two bombs went off within the cathedral’s vicinity last Sunday. The first explosion happened inside the church while the other occurred outside as people were fleeing from the first blast.
On Tuesday (January 29), Duterte said a couple– a man and a woman, specifically– carried out the bombings in Jolo.
“The other bomber was outside. There was no reason for him to be frisked. Either he was just passing by before blowing himself up,” he said at the sidelines of an event in Malabon City.
“Ang problema kasi ang babae was wearing a cross pa, malaking cross sa dibdib niya so who would ever think,” he added.