Hot Breaking News for Filipinos

Tuloy ang ligaya! Calida’s security agency bags P17.7M contract from BSP

0 2,203

Allegations about conflict of interest hasn’t stopped government agencies from tapping the security firm of Solicitor General Jose Calida.

A document obtained by Politiko showed the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas awarded a contract worth P17,737,796.16 million to Vigilant Investigative and Security Agency Inc. (VISAI) on July 5.

The contract was for the supply of 45 security guards for BSP’s acquired assets in Metro Manila.

VISAI’s agreement with BSP will last for a year from the time it is issued a Notice to Proceed by the central bank’s Security, Investigation and Transport Department.

As part of the contract with BSP, VISAI was required to issue a check for security performance worth P886,889.81 and a surety bond of P5,321,338.85.

Calida came under fire in May after it was discovered that VISAI bagged P261-million worth of contracts from government agencies since the start of the Duterte administration in June 2016.

Among the government agencies which awarded contracts to VISAI were the House of Representatives, the National Anti-Poverty Commission, the National Economic Development Authority and the Department of Justice.

Calida, however, said there was no conflict of interest in the deals since he resigned as VISAI’s president and chairman in June 2016.

He continues to hold 60 percent of VISAI’s chares while the remaining 40 percent is evenly spread out among his wife Milagros and their children.