Tunisia could lose millions of dollars stashed in Switzerland by the family of ousted dictator Zine El Abidine Ben Ali, a senior official said Saturday.

Tunisia set to lose stolen millons stashed in Swiss banks by ousted dictator

Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin

Tunisia could lose millions of dollars stashed in Switzerland by the family of ousted dictator Zine El Abidine Ben Ali, a senior official said Saturday.

The funds are currently frozen by Swiss authorities but a deadline to claw back funds ends midnight on Tuesday and restrictions then cease, a presidential official told AFP on condition of anonymity.

Swiss authorities imposed a 10-year freeze on assets of Ben Ali and his clan amid a corruption probe on January 19, 2011, five days after the toppled leader fled to Saudi Arabia, where he later died.

Swiss-based campaign group Public Eye, which investigates human rights violations by Swiss companies, estimates Ben Ali’s family and allies shifted some $320 million into Swiss banks in the years before his ouster.

Leila Trabelsi, Ben Ali’s widow, and her wealthy businessman brother Belhassen Trabelsi, are among 30 to 50 of his relatives and associates who “could get hold of the money”, the source said.

“We are in touch daily with the Swiss authorities, but despite their understanding, it will be difficult to achieve anything” by the deadline, the source added.

The Swiss have reportedly demanded documents to prove the funds are indeed illegal, before they could return it to Tunisia’s government.

Swiss authorities also want to know the legal status of members of the Ben Ali clan, many of whom faced warrants and trials in Tunisia for corruption, the source said.

The authorities have failed to compile the information due to political instability in Tunisia, which has seen nine government since 2011, the source added.

Swiss daily Le Temps said Swiss officials had offered to create a joint body to support Tunisian efforts to reclaim the cash.

But former Tunisian president Beji Caid Essebsi, who died in 2019, preferred to try retrieve funds through reconciliation deals with members of the Ben Ali clan.

Agence France-Presse

Leave a Comment

POLITIKO / Live!

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on reddit
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

POLITIKO / Across the Nation

POLITIKO / Latest News

China to donate 400,000 more Covid-19 vaccine doses to Philippines – Duterte

By Prince Golez

President Rodrigo Duterte on Thursday said China will donate 400,000 more doses of coronavirus (Covid-19) vaccines.

Duterte made the announcement in his speech during the inauguration of school buildings at the Canumay East National High School and Lawang Bato National High School in Valenzuela City.

“China would give us another [400,000 Covid-19 vaccine doses], making their donation to this country [at] 1 million [doses],” according to him.

The East Asian country previously donated 600,000 doses of Sinovac Biotech’s CoronaVac that arrived in Manila last Sunday.

Meanwhile, Duterte reiterated that he will lift the Covid-19 pandemic restrictions once the country achieve widespread vaccination.

“If I see most of the citizens can avail of the vaccine in any of the health centers [or] hospitals, that is the standard, then I will reopen everything sa ating ekonomiya. For now, pigil ako sa, lalo na mga bata,” he said.

Duterte says gov’t going ‘full-throttle’ on vaccine drive to ensure student safety

By Prince Golez

President Rodrigo Duterte on Thursday vowed that the government will go “full- throttle” in its mass coronavirus (Covid-19) vaccination program to ensure safe return to schools.

Duterte made the statement during the simultaneous inauguration of school buildings at the Gen. Gregorio H. Del Pilar Integrated School and Virginia Ramirez-Cruz High School in Bulakan, Bulacan.

“I assure you that the government is exerting all efforts to go full-throttle in this Covid-19 vaccination program to ensure the safety of students before the resumption of the face-to face-learning,” the Chief Executive said.

In his speech, Duterte also underscored the need for timely completion of government structures and projects and directed all concerned agencies to ensure the least inconvenience to the public during construction and maintain the highest ethical standards.

“Our investment in education infrastructure affirms our continuing commitment to promote the right of the people to quality and accessible education at all levels,” according to him.

“A good education is a valuable gift we can proudly pass on to succeeding generations of Filipinos. Let us join hands in developing the full potential of your youth as bearers of our nation’s sustainable future,” he concluded.

TRENDING NEWS

MCD MULTI MEDIA/ Network

Business News

Tagalog News

Weekly Sports News

Sign up for our Newsletter

We are a social news blog where politikos, their kin, friends and allies are the center of the universe. We write about their words and deeds, likes and dislikes, dreams and fears. We are here to entertain, provoke and hopefully inform you along the way.

Disclaimer