Ubos na ang pasensya! Duterte to ship Canada’s trash back via private firm
President Rodrigo Duterte has ordered concerned government agencies to look for a private company that will ship Canada’s trash back after languishing in the country for more than six years.
Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said Wednesday (May 22) the government will shoulder the cost of returning Canada’s garbage shipment.
“If Canada will not accept their trash, we will leave the same within its territorial waters or 12 nautical miles out to sea from the baseline of any of their country’s shores,” he said.
Canada failed to meet the May 15 deadline set by Duterte to ship out the 69 container vans of garbage that arrived in the country between 2013 and 2014.
The delay led Foreign Affairs Secretary Teodoro “Teddyboy” Locsin Jr. to order the recall last week of the Philippine Ambassador to Canada.
Panelo said Duterte is “upset” that Canada is dragging its feet on returning its trash.
“We are extremely disappointed with Canada’s neither here nor there pronouncement on the matter. Obviously Canada is not taking this issue nor our country seriously,” he said, adding that Filipinos are “gravely insulted” that Ottawa appears to be treating the Philippines as a dumpsite.