The bible of Philippine politics

Villanueva hopes bills ending ‘endo,’ giving service charge to employees will be mentioned in SONA

0 62

Senator Joel Villanueva hopes President Rodrigo Duterte will announce that he has signed into law two measures which seek to promote the interests of workers.

Villanueva said the public is waiting for the fate of the security of tenure bill and the measure giving 100 percent of the service charge collected in business establishments to employees.

“[T]he Security of Tenure bill manages to strike a balance between contrasting interests of labor and employers,” he said.

The Security of Tenure bill was certified by Duterte as a priority measure in his SONA last year. It has been transmitted last month to Malacañang for the President’s signature.

Meanwhile, the bill on giving employees 100 percent of the service charge ensures they will benefit from the tips collected from customers.

At present, 85 percent of the service charge collected from restaurants, hotels and similar establishments are distributed to employees, while management retains the remaining 15 percent to cover for breakages and losses.

Meanwhile, other measures that Sen. Villanueva is expecting from the SONA include the issues on the rise of illegal foreign workers and the Philippine offshore gaming operations (POGO) in the country.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

Privacy & Cookies Policy