House Deputy Minority leader and Bayan Muna Rep. Carlos Isagani Zarate on Sunday called on the leadership of the House of Representatives to continue the investigation on the alleged overcharging of Manila Electric Company (Meralco) last year.
Zarate said then House Committee on Energy chairperson and now Speaker Lord Allan Jay Velasco started the probe on the alleged overcharging during the early months of the lockdown.
The probe was triggered by House Resolution 879 filed by the Makabayan bloc.
Zarate said now Energy Committee chairperson and Pampanga Rep. Juan Miguel Arroyo should continue the investigation.
“If there are indeed overcharges, these should immediately be refunded to consumers as we work out ways in the legislature to ensure that overcharging would not happen again,” said Zarate.
He also insisted that overcharging refunds would directly benefit the Filipino people rather than more or wholesale economic liberalization via the proposed Charter change being prioritized by the House leadership.
The Energy Regulatory Commission (ERC) earlier ordered Meralco to refund P13.9 billion excess collection to its customers.