President Rodrigo Duterte on Monday night said he wants children aged 10-14 years old to stay inside their homes despite the easing of age restrictions recently approved by the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-EID).

Wary of new COVID-19 variant: Duterte reverses IATF, bars kids 10-14 years old from going out

Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin

President Rodrigo Duterte on Monday night said he wants children aged 10-14 years old to stay inside their homes despite the easing of age restrictions recently approved by the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-EID).

READ: Duterte allows face-to-face medical classes in MGCQ, GCQ areas

In a taped speech, Duterte said it it necessary to take the precaution of prohibiting children outside after the health department said that there were UK variant samples found in Mountain Province and La Trinidad, Benguet.

READ: Wear your face mask correctly, Duterte remind public: Hindi dapat nakalabas ang ilong!

“Akin (Mine) is a precaution because there is or there was a strain discovered in the Cordillera that is very similar to the strain dito sa (in the) United Kingdom. How it got there is beyond me…but nandoon, nakita naman nila (it’s there, they saw it) and I trust that our doctors, our medical workers are really competent enough to determine the situation existing. So balik ho kayo sa bahay muna (you have to stay indoors for the meantime),” he said.

READ: Duterte reimposes age restrictions for children in MGCQ areas: Balik muna kayo sa bahay

He explained that he was particularly concerned about reports that the new Covid-19 variant spreads more easily in children.

“Takot lang ako kasi itong bagong (I’m just scared because this new) strain strikes the young children,” he said, noting that the original strain found it harder to infect children than adults. “Itong original na Covid (strain) hardly if at all na wala kang marinig na may bata. Meron (This original Covid strain hardly if at all you won’t hear about kids getting infected. There are) one or two, and you can count it by the fingers of your hands.”

Duterte also quipped about having children aged 10-14 watch television while stuck indoors.

“Pero itong mga 10, 11, 12 (years-old) puwede na ito sa TV. They can glue their attention sa TV the whole day,” he said.

Last week, the IATF-EID announced that age restrictions in areas under modified general community quarantine (MGCQ) will be eased starting February, with those aged 10 years to 65 years already allowed to go out.

Cabinet Secretary Karlo Nograles later clarified that children aged 10-14 will only be allowed to go outside if accompanied by their parents or guardians.

On Monday, Trade Secretary Ramon Lopez defended allowing children to go out amid the pandemic, saying that it is necessary to boost spending.

“Our principle here is that family expenditure accounts for 30 to 50 percent in commercial areas,” Lopez said, calling on Metro Manila mayors to consider easing the age restrictions to restimulate economic activities.

Doctors’ groups like the Philippine Pediatric Society and the Pediatric Infectious Disease Society of the Philippines earlier thumbed down proposals to allow children in malls.

Follow health protocols

Duterte also urged the public to be “religious” in observing health and safety protocols such as wearing of face masks and face shields, frequent hand-washing, and physical distancing as confirmed Covid-19 cases in the country reached 514,996 on Monday.

“I hope that you would be religious in obeying the injunctions na sinasabi ng ating mga (being said by) medical persons simply because we’re trying to save our country,” he said.

While some Filipinos could afford getting treated for Covid-19, he pointed out that there were many who could barely pay for hospital expenses.

“Mabuti nalang yung tinamaan na meron talagang resources, pero yung wala ang nakakaawa (Good thing is that those who get infected have resources, but those who don’t have resources are really pitiful). For the sake of humanity, yung kapwa mo tao (your fellow citizens), kindly obey the protocols,” he said.

He also admitted that he could not impose “draconian measures” such as preventing everyone from leaving their homes since it would have a severe impact to the economy unless there is a plague.

“When people are dying on the streets then maybe I can use the draconian measures of telling everybody to stay put inside their houses. Ang problema is how to sustain yung mga wala. Yung isang kahig isang tuka (The problem is how to sustain for those who have nothing, those who get by with what they have on a daily basis). So, it behooves now on government to really answer for their daily needs and I think that we will be able to surmount kung kain lang (it it’s just food) but it will at the same time kill the economy because nobody’s working again we go back to the non-productivity of the economy,” he said. (PNA)

Leave a Comment

POLITIKO / Live!

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on reddit
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

POLITIKO / Across the Nation

POLITIKO / Latest News

Instagrammable! Majayjay mayor Carlo Clado bares Municipal Hall’s new look

Majayjay mayor Carlo “Jojo” Clado can’t get enough of the new look of his Municipal’s seat of power.

In a Facebook post, Clado shared photos of the Municipal Hall’s Instagrammable makeover. The mayor thanked all the workers who made the glow up possible.

“Hindi pa po tapos yan. Lalagyan pa yan ng malaking logo ng Majayjay sa gitna na may ilaw. Excited lang po ako magpost! Nakakaproud na ngayon maging isang tiga Majayjay!,” the mayor wrote.

ANG BAGONG MUKHA NG MUNISIPYO NG MAHAL NATING BAYAN NG MAJAYJAY!
FEBRUARY 27, 2021
PLEASE SHARE!

Hindi pa po tapos…

Posted by Yorme Jojo Clado on Saturday, February 27, 2021

Mauna na NBI: House panel cancels probe on PDEA-PNP ‘misencounter’

By Billy Begas

The House Committee on Dangerous Drugs has canceled the scheduled hearing on Monday on the shootout between elements of the Philippine National Police and Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency.

Committee chairman and Surigao del Norte Rep. Robert Ace Barbers confirmed the cancellation of the hearing.

“Please be advised that in light of Pres. DU30’s instruction to the NBI to conduct an impartial investigation on the PNP and PDEA incident , our scheduled Committee hearing/investigation in aid of legislation on Monday, March 1, 2021 , is temporarily suspended as a courtesy to and in order not to hinder the ongoing investigation…will keep you all posted on the developments,” the advisory sent to media read.

The House panel was supposed to determine if there is a need to amend the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act (Republic Act 9165) to prevent the repeat of the shootout between PNP and PDEA agents last February 24 outside the Ever Gotesco Mall in Commonwealth Ave., Quezon City.

Ping thanks IATF for uniform travel protocols

Sen. Panfilo Lacson on Saturday thanked the Inter-Agency Task Force on Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF) for approving uniform travel protocols.

Lacson said local travel restrictions should be left to the local government units since the local leaders know the situation on the ground.

“Thank you, for the sake of the country’s economy. Local travel restrictions should be left to the LGUs. Their leaders know their local conditions better than anybody else in the national government,” he said in a post on his Twitter account.

Malacañang earlier announced the IATF had approved uniform travel protocols for LGUs.

TRENDING NEWS

MCD MULTI MEDIA/ Network

Business News

Tagalog News

Weekly Sports News

Sign up for our Newsletter

We are a social news blog where politikos, their kin, friends and allies are the center of the universe. We write about their words and deeds, likes and dislikes, dreams and fears. We are here to entertain, provoke and hopefully inform you along the way.

Disclaimer