Watchdog suggests news boycott of Google, Facebook
Australia's competition watchdog suggested Tuesday that local media could organise a "collective boycott" of Google and Facebook to force the tech giants to pay for news they put on their platforms.

Watchdog suggests news boycott of Google, Facebook

Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin

by David MILLIKIN

Australia’s competition watchdog suggested Tuesday that local media could organise a “collective boycott” of Google and Facebook to force the tech giants to pay for news they put on their platforms.

The radical idea was among a series of possible bargaining tools put forward by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) as it considers a mandatory code of conduct for the tech firms.

Other mechanisms laid out in a 33-page “Concepts Paper” included bilateral negotiations between Australian media organisations and the two tech behemoths and collective bargaining involving all the country’s news companies.

But acknowledging the global reach and immense power of Google and Facebook, it said an “alternative bargaining framework” could be needed if direct negotiations fail.

“A collective boycott, or the threat of a collective boycott, may encourage each of Google and Facebook to offer news media businesses more appropriate remuneration for the use of their content,” it said.

In a process being closely watched across the world, Australia last month announced plans to force major internet firms to share advertising revenues earned from news content featured in their services.

While the initial targets of the anti-trust move involved a range of tech firms, including Twitter and Verizon Media, the ACCC said Tuesday it was narrowing its focus to Google and Facebook.

“Facebook and Google were the digital platforms currently benefitting from a significant imbalance in bargaining power in their commercial negotiations with Australian news media businesses,” it said.

The ACCC is tasked with drawing up a “code of conduct” for payments and addressing other competition concerns with the tech titans.

Its concept paper posed a series of questions about what kind of news should be compensated and how best to determine its value, and gave stakeholders until June 5 to submit recommendations.

The ACCC then has until the end of July to draw up the final code, which the government has said it will quickly implement.

– Industry struggling –
Last week the head of Nine Entertainment, one of Australia’s biggest media companies, called for Google and Facebook to pay news organisations 10 percent of their annual Australian advertising revenue, which is estimated by the government at Aus$6.0 billion (US$3.9 billion).

Other industry leaders have suggested payments of up to Aus$1.0 billion per year.

Google and Facebook vehemently oppose any mandatory fees and insist they have invested millions of dollars in initiatives helping Australia’s struggling news industry.

The two firms have had a huge impact on media companies across the globe as they capture the lion’s share of online advertising spending.

In response to falling revenues, Australian news outlets have slashed 20 percent of jobs in the last six years.

The crisis has only deepened in the economic and advertising downturn caused by the coronavirus pandemic, which has already forced the closure of many smaller news publishers.

An estimated 17 million Australians use Facebook each month and spend an average of 30 minutes on the platform a day, while 98 percent of Australian mobile searches use Google.

Leave a Comment

POLITIKO / Live!

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on reddit
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

POLITIKO / Across the Nation

POLITIKO / Latest News

Trending News

MCD MULTI MEDIA/ Network

  • Community pantry sa Lucena pinalayas ng pulis

    Sinita at pinaalis umano ng mga pulis ang community pantry na itinayo ng isang grupo ng magsasaka sa Lucena City, Quezon dahil pagmumulan lamang umano ito ng pagdidikit-dikit ng mga tao. The post Community pantry sa Lucena pinalayas ng pulis first appeared on NewsKo.

Weekly Sports News

  • Kobe Paras waves goodbye to UP

    Kobe Paras has officially bid his farewell to the University of the Philippines Fighting Maroons. The post Kobe Paras waves goodbye to UP appeared first on FASTBREAK.com.ph.

  • Kai Sotto: Balik Gilas Ako

    Filipino center Kai Sotto has reaffirmed his commitment to play for Gilas Pilipinas in their upcoming international tournaments. The post Kai Sotto: Balik Gilas Ako appeared first on FASTBREAK.com.ph.

  • Kai Sotto To Play For Adelaine In National Basketball League

    Filipino center Kai Sotto is set to play in the National Basketball League following his botched stint with the National Basketball Association G League. The post Kai Sotto To Play For Adelaine In National Basketball League appeared first on FASTBREAK.com.ph.

Sign up for our Newsletter

We are a social news blog where politikos, their kin, friends and allies are the center of the universe. We write about their words and deeds, likes and dislikes, dreams and fears. We are here to entertain, provoke and hopefully inform you along the way.

Disclaimer