‘We will never forget:’ Trillanes slams Duterte, Cayetano over ABS-CBN shutdown
Former Senator Antonio Trillanes IV is calling out President Duterte and House Speaker Alan Cayetano over their controversial comments about the ABS-CBN network.
After a House committee voted to deny the franchise bid of ABS-CBN, Trillanes posted on Facebook a video clip showing Duterte’s threats to block the network’s franchise. The video also included Cayetano’s contradicting comments about the franchise issue involving the Kapamilya station.
Trillanes previously branded Cayetano as “bolero,” “paasa” and “sinungaling” when it comes to the franchise application of the network.
“#WeWillNeverForget,” Trillanes captioned the video showing Cayetano’s comments.
The video clip showed Cayetano’s statement back in February that he was ready to turn on the ABS-CBN transmitter to ensure its operations. “Hindi naman tayo papayag that there will be a single minute na hindi nagbo-broadcast ang ABS-CBN,” he said.
Another DZMM interview of Cayetano last April 29, 2020 showed his statement that he “really cannot imagine a world without ABS-CBN.” “There is absolutely no reason na isara ang ABS,” he added.
Another interview clip showed Cayetano saying he has not heard anything that the ABS-CBN network is in danger of being shut down.
“Wala talagang dahilan. So meaning after all of these hearings at isara, eh ibig sabihin gusto talaga kayong isara,” the Taguig lawmaker said.
The video shifts to President Duterte’s past public remarks about ABS-CBN network.
In one of his speeches last year, Duterte told ABS-CBN owners to sell their station due to uncertainty about their franchise renewal. “Ako pa sa iyo, ipagbili na ninyo ‘yan,” he advised the Lopezes during a public engagement
In another speech last year, the President vowed to ensure ABS-CBN will be out of operations. “Ang inyong franchise mag-end next year. If you’re expecting ma-renew yan, I’m sorry. You’re out. I will see to it that you’re out,” Duterte said.
An administration-dominated House panel has voted to junk the franchise bid of the Kapamilya network, effectively shutting down its free tv and radio stations.
— Sonny Trillanes IV (@TrillanesSonny) May 10, 2020