Why commemorate terrorist attack? Duterte skips visiting Marawi on year 1 of siege
President Rodrigo Duterte has chosen to ignore the commemoration of the Marawi siege’s first anniversary and did not visit the war torn area Wednesday (May 23).
Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said the siege is not worth commemorating.
“Ang commemoration naman po is the siege itself. Balik tanaw lang naman po yun ng siege ng mga kalaban. Hindi naman po dapat yan pinagdidiwang,” he said.
Meanwhile, Special Assistant to the President Christopher “Bong” Go said Duterte will visit Marawi instead on the anniversary of its liberation on October 17.
Duterte declared martial law in Mindanao on May 23 last year because of the attacks launched by the Maute group in Marawi City on the same day.
After five months of fighting, the military killed terrorist leaders Isnilon Hapilon and Omar Maute. Their death prompted Duterte to declare Marawi’s liberation on October 17, 2017.
However, Mindanao remains under martial law since authorities claim they are still going after remnanta of the Maute group.